Friday, May 15, 2020

Act I: The warmth of the sun

This is the first of many experiences I wish to put on-the-record as a means to keep my blog balanced with memories of better times. A reminder that I've had a full life and, at least, to show my daughters of the type a man their father was/is.

Chapter One.

One of the best experiences I've had was driving down South on Highway 1 in Baja.

1986 was a magical year for me. I was 19, but I've not experienced much of life's adventures, yet alone her pleasures. But, when a cousin mentioned he needed to travel to La Paz for a job commitment I was one hundred percent on board, especially when he scored my uncle's Suburban for the road trip.

Turquoise Gold

Living in Ensenada exposed me to much of the Baja culture: Off-road racing, beach camping, fishing off the piers; it was of great joy to partake in these activities. But I was somewhat unnerved traveling the 1,300 kilometres (800 miles) thru a lone highway. This was a calmer time in regards to cartel & military check points, but the thought of driving that old jalopy down unknown territory was intimidating. There were no cell phones of course, and our GPS was an old map where my dad marked known gas stations. Still, the call of adventure was boiling in my psyche, not to mention it was Summer time.

Melo llena de regular, porfa...

I can't remember the exact date, but we prepped our gear early on. Not expecting stops along the way. Just a straight 1300 Km road trek, between Ensenada and La Paz. A journey that could be completed in 1 day. We took 5.

About 20 straight hours.

Huevos Dias

The sun pierced the lavender morning as we finished packing our rig and set down South. Mexico has the reputation of an intrepid tourist's dream, and, as it were, there are many true adventures froth with risk. Personally, I valued my hide and decided to only handle those that seemed tame. Still, nature is the great equalizer and I figured when your are met with her challenge one must meet it. Taking this venture across the rocky desert would be a welcomed experience.

Are we there yet?
Cabron...

Next up: Rig Races in Maneadero, Cock Fights in Santo Tomas, and the green grass of Ejidos.


No comments:

Post a Comment