Friday, November 10, 2017

The Beginning… Anno Dominus Noster 2015

I was heavy into doing double work shifts most of my career. The aspect of career growth & financial freedom has been the extent of my goals since moving to LA in 2001. I felt proud being able to afford simple luxuries, a Home, a new car, America’s wet dream surrounded by white picket fence. But I also love to work in the creative field. It’s been a huge passion helping to create cartoons or show ideas that entertain children (and the masses in general), and that deep drive I had to build a brand from an idea to a whole marketing channel was the force that would push me out of bed every day, usually operating with two-three hours of sleep. Eventually, I thought, this would catch up to me. Maybe…?

In 2015, a few months before Vivian Grace was born, I had landed a very lucrative contract to help develop new apps for the upcoming Apple Watch. I had worked with these creative folks before and jumped at the chance to be a part of this new Apple device. We thought of a few ideas to shop towards Apple, but concluded on a Slot Machine type of game that would come pre-installed on the watch. “How Exciting!” I thought. That my art would be a part of a bundle already pre-installed in a coveted device. I went ALL-IN.
Keep in mind that I still had my full-time gig with at KABAM. It was indeed the start of a very creative & busy year.

May/June. I headed to bed around 5 am after a particular long day. Lying there, I started to yawn very deeply expecting to fall asleep soon but began noticing a slight wheeze emanating from my chest. My lungs seemed like they were not fully expanding as I was drawing in air, yet physically my lungs felt full.

I didn’t think much of it other than regular exhaustion and a tired body. But shortly after Vivian was born I noticed that a ‘wheez’ had developed when I would sleep. Not a snore, but a deep whistle type sound, like the edge of a balloon being squeezed while letting air out that would often wake me up. A little alarmed I decided to move up my annual health check-up and consult my PCP. Blood-tests came back negative; cholesterol levels great for a man of my age. He suggested that I treat this wheeze like a cold, and since we were heading into Flu season I got vaccinated. 


2015 would quickly end in a good financial clip. I felt as though I had conquered a good creative year. Little did I see what would rear out its head in just a few more weeks…


No comments:

Post a Comment